Re: Identifying differentials/axles/etc.

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998 17:55:52 -0600 (MDT) PB Schechter <pb@domain.elided>
writes:
><You wrote:>
>
>>From cookiedan@domain.elided Thu Sep 24 17:43 MDT 1998
>
><snip headers>
>
>>PB,
>>   A dana 72 axle has very small axle tubes you will know one when you
>>see one. a D30 axle, on a Scout anyway, has two distinct spring perches
>>on them whereas the D40 on a Scout has the spring perch molded into the
>>pumpkin. I would guess on something other then a Scout the D30 would be
>>with drum brakes exclusively, where the D44 could have disk, but a 68
>>wouldn't have disk. On pickups you were offered D60's in the rear and
in
>>the front if it is a 3/4 ton model. Again, I don't know what to tell
you
>>to look for, I would know one on sight. A Dana 300 is the transfer case
>>that came in Scout II's from 1980. Before that they came with either a
>>Dana 20 or an International T-145 single speed t-case. Your pickup
>>probably has a New Process 204 in it. The tranny you have is a T-19 if
>>it has a really low first, but; I didn't think the T-19 was available
>>that early. You're sure it isn't a 5 speed?
>>
>>Dan Nees
>
><snip .sig file>
>
>Well, my Travelall (I forgot to mention that that's what it is, but
>'65 C1100 4 x 4 should suffice, for drive train identification, I
think),
>does *not* have a 5 speed, if I can believe the shift-pattern drawn on
>the top of the shift lever.  It is certainly called a T-16 in my owners
>manual (not a T-19); the workshop manual claims that the only difference
>between the T-15 and T-16 is that one has the PTO on the right side,
>and the other has it on the left side (I forget which was which, off
>the top of my head); they both have the 6.8 or so to 1 1st gear, and
>more "normal" 2-4 gears.
>
>I can look and see what the linesetting ticket says about the
>differentials, if that will help.  But what I am really looking for is
>a way to know what the *manufacturer* called the parts--clearly, if I
>can get a diff or tranny from, e.g., a Ford, then the potential supply
>is greatly increased than if I need to get one from a IH.  (Not that I
>need anything--that I know of--right now; just that I am always on the
>lookout for spares, when driving a 34 year old vehicle....)
>
>Thanks for the reply.  I hope, some day, to be able to say what you do:
>I can tell what it is by just *looking* at it....
>
>--pb

There is no easy way know  what you're asking, except a lot of experience
dealing with the components.  There are some lists on the FAQ's that
translate some of the IH Codes into the actual manufacturer and model for
some components, but they're probably mostly Scout components. You can
always ask the Digest and someone will probably know.  One big thing to
be wary of is whether someone is referring to an IH code or the
manufacturer's code.  For example, the T-19 Dan is referring to is a
Warner Gear code.  IH would have called it a T-427 or T-428 on the
lineset.  You will not find the identity of the manufacturer on the
lineset.  Most big truck components are are identified by
manufacturer--Fuller transmissions, Cummins engines, etc., but never, or
very rarely, have I seen a light-duty component identified by
manufacturer, which makes knowing who made what more difficult.

I'm not sure what axles your 65 would have had.  IH pickups used IH axles
earlier and were switching to Dana axles, probably a Model 44 on a 1100,
about this time.  I'd expect the front axle to be a Dana.  What are the
codes on your lineset?  The T-15 transmission is an IH-built unit and I
think the transfer case may be a New Process, that's all I know of in the
pickups.

To set the record straight on a couple of other items:The Dana 30 front
axle did come with disc brakes in '74, although the sales literature
doesn't show this.  I owned one.  The Dana 20 transfer case was
identified as the TC-145 by IH.  The single speed was the TC-143 and the
Dana 300 was the TC-146. The earlier Dana 18 was the TC-144.  I think the
New Process cases were the TC-141 and TC-142.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]