Re: Identifying differentials/axles/etc.

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Daniel Nees wrote:

> pumpkin. I would guess on something other then a Scout the D30 would be
> with drum brakes exclusively, where the D44 could have disk, but a 68

'74 SII Dana 30 had disks.. and you could order a Dana 44 w/ drums on
earlier Scout IIs.

74/75 light line had discs..

Everything prior had drums.

> probably has a New Process 204 in it. The tranny you have is a T-19 if
> it has a really low first, but; I didn't think the T-19 was available
> that early. You're sure it isn't a 5 speed?

I'm not positive if the T19 was used in the trucks and T'alls or not..
but my money says the tranny in question is a T98.  The T19 wasn't
introduced 'till 1975 (which would make it hard to be used in a pickup or
Travelall), and has a syncro 1st.  The T18 was used in the Scout 800/IIs,
with non-sync 1st and close ratio.

Prior to that, in the bigger light-line rigs, the T98 was used.. very
similar to a wide T19, but a non-syncro 1st gear in the 6+ range.  The
Travelall that rode on Suburban 44/14bolt with 35s at our Divide Ride
sported a 345 and a T98 granny 4spd.

-Tom