Re: cat, detroit, etc.

In a message dated 9/17/98 9:36:22 AM Eastern Daylight Time, owner-ihc-
digest@domain.elided writes:

<< The Detroit Series 60 is the engine to have.

 Bruce Slykhouse

Where has the loyalty gone? GM products suck when put next to IH, especially
anything made from the late 70's on, its just a simple fact. Give me an IH 9.0
liter!

But seriously, CAT is reputed to have very good engines. I know this because I
work in a marina with perhaps 5 or 6 boats utilizing twin CAT turbodiesels.
However, I also know that they are very expensive, particularly considering
the life which one usually gets out of them. The fact is, most modern diesels,
including CAT, Detroit, Cummins, etc. build their deisels to such high
tolerances, particularly in regard to turbocharger boost levels, that their
lives have been nearly cut in half when compared to naturally aspirated
diesels of an older vintage. Most of you probably haven't ever heard of these
companies, but my faves for marine diesels are Yanmar and Westerbeke, with
Volvo Pentas falling a distant third. They run like a top forever, bottom
line.