Rear Main Seal

Digesters,

Hydrogen from water? I'm gonna run home and fill my tank right away!
Then I'm gonna floor it and see if I can get more rpms out of it! Anyone
else wanna try it? Free energy? Perpetual motion?

Mark,

I replaced the rear main seal with the tranny in the truck. I detached
the drive shaft, disconnected the tranny and carefully moved the
tranny/transfercase assembly back. Very heavy, be very careful. I was
able to gain about a 1 foot to 18" gap. I supported the engine using a
chain wrapped around a 2x4 laid across both fenders. I tilted the engine
down quite a bit to gain better access to the seal. I agree with Tom(?)
about removing the main bearing cap and replacing the finger seals. I
struggled with my rear main seal unsuccessfully until I loosened the
main bearing cap. Then the seal came right out. I put some red silly
sealer on the finger seals (2) and the rear main seal and carefully put
them in place. Had to use a fair amount of pressure to get the finger
seal in place all the way. Be very careful not to damage the inner lip
on the rear main seal. The DPO who did the engine rebuild ruined the
seal and created a massive oil leak. When I pulled the seal out, I found
the inner lip had been folded back and split. I put some oil or grease
on the crank and made CERTAIN that the lip did not get folded over.
Then, gently tap/push it into place.

I got the parts from Outback Parts. They were very helpful with verbal
instructions and i think they sold me the sealer also.

Took me about 6 hours for the whole process over two evenings.

Good luck!

Kendude