Back off GUS

I think we need to give Rod Phillips a break.
OK, he spewed a little bit about the net and modem thing. Really, this should
not threaten or cause any of us to be defensive, or even take it personally.
Obviously since he does not participate electronically he would not have the
ability to appreciate the many benefits, some of which I am sure GUS has
reaped by being listed on almost every web site vender link.
Come on, this computer thing can be very intimidating to the blue collar type
like myself. Obviously he felt his business was misrepresented (right or
wrong),
as far as the weatherstripping thing.
Admittedly not a regular internet guy and feeling threatened,
maybe we should cut him some slack regarding his tone and criticism of this
medium.

I have been a GUS customer for about 10 years having had several major IH
projects during that time frame. Since I live on the west coast, GUS has
been my
major scout parts supplier. I have never been unhappy or had a bad
experience with
them. Someone is usually able to answer my technical questions on the spot,
when I call, with no obligation or sales pressure.
I consider their pricing to be very competitive. On a few occasions
Rod actually told me to buy something somewhere else (and told me where to go)
because he could not be reasonably competitive on that individual item.
Look, this is not a fairy tail, I am not saying they are perfect. In reality,
GUS could get away with hiring the Jacobs sales reps (pls smile), use a
street rod list pricing schedule, offer less services, and still be in the
top
tier of IH parts suppliers. Call around, their ARE flakes out there,
hopefully you will never find them shipping to you.

My most recent experience (well a friends) with GUS goes like this:
Last week my buddy grenades his distributor in his 1976 scout,
breaking the plates with the advance weights.
(I still don't understand how he did this)
He visits his local discount parts house and they sell him a rebuilt
prestolight
disty for about $160.
He gets home, finds the plug wires don't match and realizes he needed the
Holly.
Back to the parts house. They tell him prestolight is the only electronic
disty
used in IH. At this point I get a very meek phone call, I tell him, call GUS.
They sell him a good used Holly complete with a brand new mag pick up for
under $40 bucks.

I think this story represents the heart of what Rod was trying to say,
that maybe some of us missed?

Later,
Tony Sobrito
Scouts West, San Diego Chapter
73 scout II thrasher project, full size axle swap in process.
71 travelall 2wd