Weatherstripping & GUS

>The following is from Rod Phillips owner of Giddum' Up Scout
>The recent conversations regarding weatherstripping is a perfect example of
>why I dont waste my time with the internet.

Then why waste your time slamming the internet and stick to the facts next
time, please.  A simple posting of the actual prices GUS has for
weatherstripping would suffice.

>In my opinion the internet is an
>out-of-control forum where anyone with a modem can represent himself as an
>expert or critic at the expense of anyone he chooses. Unless the accused
>happens to see the accusations and responds, the "expert opinions" or the
>"critique" stands as the gospel.

Caveat Emptor!

<snip>

>I will say that
>nobody else came up with any other "solutions", so apparently there are'nt a
>lot of alternatives. Anyhow, the conversation goes on until the last guy buys
>some stuff from Pep Boys and describes his experience. His last comment
>laments the cost from Giddum' Up Scout,which has now gone up to $100 per
door,
>and for " original IH stuff" , which it is not. See how things get out of
>control?

If you had been *on* the internet, Rod, you could have chimed in with your
prices and information before things "got out of control".

<snip>

>The sum total of all this is that we don't pretend to have the lowest prices
>on every part we carry. In the first place, can't possible know every
price of
>every item form every possible competitor in the world.

A suggestion--have a "matching price" policy for identical items offered by
other vendors.

<snip>

>More importantly,
>however, the price of an item is so much more than a stack of dollars &
cents.
>It is knowing that you'll get the best quality part we can find for that
stack
>of money. It is knowing that, if there is a problem, that problem will be
>taken care of to your satisfaction as fast as humanly possible. It is knowing
>that there's a place you can call to find out the firing order of your
engine,
>or how to take a hub apart - or whatever- at no cost or obligation. It is
>carrying a quarter of a million dollars in Scout, Pickup & Travelall
inventory
>in order to try to provide you with the best possible value for your dollar,
>that value being measured in number of different ways.
>
>I take personal pride in our efforts over the past 12 years to maximize that
>value to our customers. I take personal offense at those who would make
>irresponsible & uninformed potshots at our efforts.
>
                                         >Rod Phillips  - Giddum' Up Scout

My take was certainly *not* a personal attack as you apparently have taken
it.  In fact, I have done business with Giddum' Up Scout both by mail and
over-the-counter and found you and your staff to be knowledgable and
friendly.  Back in '95 when I first got my Scout, I *faxed* inquiries for
parts to several vendors and Giddum' Up was the *only* vendor that
responded using this forum.  Now I prefer to use e-mail and the internet
for inquiries, if possible.  Unfortunately it appears Giddum' Up will *not*
be using this forum as have countless other corporate, government, and
private citizens in this country.

Tom Lang
Augusta, GA