Re: half-cab headliner

     Rich,

     I just installed a "new" headliner in my Scout II.  I used a 4x8 sheet
     of masonite, spray painted it black, put holes in the right places so
     I could attach it to the hard top, and shoved it on in.  So far, I've
     only hung a dome light and an external CB speaker from it, but the
     material is strong enough to hold a bit of weight with a sheet metal
     or wood screw driven through it.

     For noise (and heat) insulation, I glued/duct-taped foam sealer
     insulation to the top side (pink stuff, non-fiberglass, comes in a
     roll).  It did a substantial job at reducing road noise - I won't know
     about the thermal aspects until winter arrives.

     So far, I'm pretty happy with it, although if you go this route, you
     might want to use some sort of cloth or material over paint:  a week
     and a half later, the paint smell is still present (although
     diminishing).  To use bare masonite would be lousy, as it's a fairly
     dusty material.

     Let me know if you'd like any more detail on what I've done.

     Joe Costanzo
     '79 Scout II