Nationals the end

Erick Foor and I left SSS around noonish and headed out. Spare Parts can
only go about 70 MPH max so that was where we were running at. Around
6:30ish Erick pulled up along side me and tells me that my passenger
side back tire is going flat. We then pulled over 1 mile from the
Somerset exit of the PA Turnpike. I change the tire with my spare, only
to remember that my spare is the same bad tire from the Charlotte trip
that we couldn't get to fully balance. So, we pull off at Somerset and
go to  a gas station and get gas. While there I decide to find the hole
and try to plug it so I could drive back at more than 45 MPH. I found a
cut on the side wall that could be the problem, so I get the air hose
out there and fill the tire back up. Then I grab the wtaer hose and pour
water all over it. The cut isn't leaking any air, but; there is a rush
from the other side of the tire. This is coming from the bead. We
thought maybe it was dirty and I procede to try to clean it out, when I
find the true problem. The tire bead ripped flush with the rim and
couldn't seat if it wanted to. DOUH! So I'm stuck with the unbalanced
spare. After a while We stop and grab something to eat and Erick and I
decide that Spare Parts is slowing me down. If I run over 65 MPH the the
vibrations go away. So I leave Erick behind and head out on my own. If I
ran below 50MPH everything was fine. If I ran over 70MPH then everything
was fine, BUT, between 50-70 the truck was falling apart. So, I am
rocketing down the turnpike at an average speed of 75MPH with some
sustaned runs of 80. (Have you ever tried to go around some of those
turns in the mountains at 80 MPH? I'm glad the roads were fairly empty,
and no cops. I didn't get in until 1:30 AM. That makes 13 hours for a 9
hour drive. Bummer! But, no one was hurt or anything and I got home in
one peice, along with Ugly.
   Time to go to bead now. Talk to you guys in the morning.

Dan Nees
cookiedan@domain.elided

   1979 Scout II 345, Auto, 3.07's, Trak-Lok. One Ugly and Trusty Truck
with the Hat Trick.

1971 Scout II 304, D30/44, D20, power steering.