Re: rear axle terminology

In a message dated 9/9/98 7:49:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time, owner-ihc-
digest@domain.elided writes:

<< Can anyone tell me the difference between a "semi" floating rear and a
 "full" floating rear? Is there a non floating rear? Thanx in advance for
 the schooling. GG >>

Sure thing! A semi floating axle is one in which the axleshafts help the
housing carry the load of the truck in addition to turning. While this design
is fairly effective for most 1/4 and 1/2 ton trucks, bigger trucks, 3/4 ton
and above, typically use a full floating rear end, in which the axleshafts
move freely in the housing, without carrying any load. This helps to minimize
shaft breakage when heavier payloads or more serious four wheeling are
involved. And, although fairly rare on Scouts, there are actually some with
non-floating rears. Perhaps one day when you push your Scout just a little too
hard while wheeling, you'll find out how one operates. Oh yeah, and I think
they were a factory option on Jeeps, so maybe you can ask the jeep guys about
them too  :-)
Devin Smith
'65 Scout 80