Re: Rear Axle Terminology

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998 13:38:49 -0700 Gordon Groves
<ggroves100@domain.elided> writes:
>Can anyone tell me the difference between a "semi" floating rear and a
>"full" floating rear? Is there a non floating rear? Thanx in advance for
>the schooling. GG

The full-floating idea is the easiest to explain.  The wheels and
bearings are mounted on the outside of a hollow axle assembly and the
axle shaft "floats" inside the wheel hubs and housing carrying absolutely
no weight;it just transmits the torque from the diff assembly out to the
wheel hub.  The axle shaft can be removed with no effect on the ability
of the wheels and axle to support the load and roll down the road.  In
fact, this is commonly done when heavy trucks are towed or piggy-backed
for delivery.  A driving front axle is a full-floating design.  The shaft
can't be easily removed because of the U-joints, but it could be without
affecting the ability of the axle to support the vehicle.  In fact, this
is essentially what was done to make the 4x2 Scout II front axle.

I don't know of any automotive application of a non-floating axle, but in
theory I would define it as a diff assembly with shafts extending out to
the wheels at the end with no other support.  The axle shaft would carry
the entire load.  I guess some garden tractor axles I've seen would meet
this definition.

The semi-floating is in-between these two types.  There is an axle
housing that supports most of the load, but the wheel bearings are
mounted on the axle shafts and the wheels mounted on the ends of the
shafts so that the outer end of the shaft  carries the load from the
wheel to the bearing.   The inner part does "float" and carry only the
torque load.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]