Re: Thanks for the tips

>interested in her not getting stuck going from home to school and to work
>and home, at night. I had some years ago that really worked well, no longer
>made. She complicates things by not wanting MTs on it.

FWIW, I ran 4 BFG Trail TAs for two years, and I was fairly happy with them.
Not as aggressive as the ATs or MTs, but they gave good traction and have a
center bar for lateral traction.

They're also reasonably cheap... Sams and CostCo sell 'em in 31x10.50 size
for under $100 each.  Of course, I paid $225 for all 4... 2 like new, 2
fairly worn..  Still have 3 of 'em, but they're worn down.

>Yeah, I thought studs would be to much, she said everyone there ran them,
>but I guess it's probably on their cars with an extra set of skins all

Studs are only legal in winter of course...

I have a set of 31x10.50 tire chains I'm no longer in need of... all 4.
Only one was ever used - and that was a test fit.

>It starts like a dream if the choke is used right (manual) unless it has
>set for several days(weeks) then you might have to crank a while. Runs
>10W-40 year round, might change the gear lube to synthetic though now that
>you mention it.

Put an engine heater in it anyhow.  DO IT.  At -20, even if it *will* start,
the lifters will like you for having either warm antifreeze, warm oil,
and/or a warm block.

W/o the heater, my 304 will clatter longer than w/ the heater.  It'll always
start... just which does less damage?

>Tom, I'll suggest she get hold of the Bozeman club, if for emergencies
>only, but I doubt she will very aggressive in doing so. I think she equates
>organized four wheeling with fat old bald guys like me, besides she uses

Well, the club in Helena is like that (except for me).. :-)

Actually, in my dealings with the Bozeman club, they have a lot more
"younger" fourwheelers... mid 20s or so.

Perhaps Sarah needs some educating...  there are quite a few members of our
club (granted, they're "old") that enjoy hiking more than wheelin'... or at
least as much.

We'll go partway up the trail, and when we get hung up by an obstacle, some
of the wives/kids get out and hike ahead, meeting us a few miles farther up
the trail for lunch or a ride home.

The Bozeman folks seem to like motorcycles and ATVs as well... point is,
once you get in with the club, you'll find the club members do more than
"four wheel" together.

>Now anybody got any good ways (notice I didn't say legal) to raise money
>for a new set of tires, new optima, new windshield, new wipers, a

Hmm... I hear Jeep's sell for a good bit of money more than they should...

Say, don't you have one of those, Terry?

:-)

-Tom