Thanks for the tips

Myron offered:
>  Someone on this list mentioned this trick for better 800 heating:
>Close off the front air inlet to the heater/core box and open the leg
>vent on the passenger side.  This will recirculate the warm cab air
>back over the core for faster heating times.  I haven't tried it yet,
>but the theory sounds viable.

Sure does, I'll have her try this as the weather turns colder, or I'll
proof of principle it by the time I get there the rate I'm going. Looks
like the great trek north won't be until November.

>  I remember someone mentioning that they needed an old vacuum wiper
>someone could use as a guid for making a new electric motor.  I just
>so happen to have an old motor that I don't think can be
>recussitated...

That was probably me, I thought there was an outfit looking at an electric
motor swap and they wanted a vac motor to model the package to, I've heard
they abandoned the project. I may try the linkage set up someone posed from
the web. Better get hot though.

Then Willy came through:
>well I'm not in Montana will Wyoming do ;)

Yup, close enough.

>The best, reasonably priced snow tire I have found is the Cooper Weather =
>Master.  We run them on our vans here at work and I have them on my =
>Montero.  Not a good mud tire but for snow/dirt roads/moderate wheeling I =
>am pleased with them.

I'll look into them, if I can find a cooper outlet here. I'm mostly
interested in her not getting stuck going from home to school and to work
and home, at night. I had some years ago that really worked well, no longer
made. She complicates things by not wanting MTs on it.

>>and are studs really needed?
>I don't run studs and get around just fine but my brother in law (he is =
>in Montana) runs studs on the same tire, he claims black ice is a bigger =
>problem in Montana than in Colorado or Wyoming. We run studs (on the =
>tires, in case someone was about to go freudian) on the vans at work =
>because they are 2wd.

Yeah, I thought studs would be to much, she said everyone there ran them,
but I guess it's probably on their cars with an extra set of skins all
mounted just for winter, not doing that with this thing, I don't think.
>>Anything else I ought to do before I head north with it in Oct/Nov?
>
>If it's a hard starter install an engine block heater now and lower =
>viscosity oil once you get there.

It starts like a dream if the choke is used right (manual) unless it has
set for several days(weeks) then you might have to crank a while. Runs
10W-40 year round, might change the gear lube to synthetic though now that
you mention it.

Tom, I'll suggest she get hold of the Bozeman club, if for emergencies
only, but I doubt she will very aggressive in doing so. I think she equates
organized four wheeling with fat old bald guys like me, besides she uses
Speedy to get to the hard stuff and then schleps it from there. I will let
you know when I'm coming up though, just in case.

Now anybody got any good ways (notice I didn't say legal) to raise money
for a new set of tires, new optima, new windshield, new wipers, a

Thanks