Montana Tires

> I need new tires before the trip, what's the best snow tire (Montanans?)

well I'm not in Montana will Wyoming do ;)

The best, reasonably priced snow tire I have found is the Cooper Weather Master.  We run them on our vans here at work and I have them on my Montero.  Not a good mud tire but for snow/dirt roads/moderate wheeling I am pleased with them.

>and are studs really needed?
I don't run studs and get around just fine but my brother in law (he is in Montana) runs studs on the same tire, he claims black ice is a bigger problem in Montana than in Colorado or Wyoming. We run studs (on the tires, in case someone was about to go freudian) on the vans at work because they are 2wd.

>Anything else I ought to do before I head north with it in Oct/Nov?

If it's a hard starter install an engine block heater now and lower viscosity oil once you get there.

 Willy
SS II