Starting circuits

> On my 800, the starter-mounted=
>
>solenoid has another terminal marked "R", at least, I think that's the
>marking.  From my poorly readable manual, that appears to be the wire use=
>to bypass the ignition ballast resistor during starting.  Am I correct?  =
>If
>that's the case, then those of us with ballast resistors in the ignition
>circuit should get remote solenoids with that extra terminal, right?  The=
>
>"R" terminal could be left connected on the starter-mount solenoid, excep=
>t =
>
>when I "drag" the wiring harness up to connect with the new
>firewall-mounted solenoid that wire will want to come with the harness.  =
>My
>NAPA guy told me on the phone they have Ford solenoids with the "extra"
>terminal.  Or that bypass could be connected directly to the Ford output
>side.

Either way sounds to me as equally good options. My Ford solenoid has the
R terminal, but logically the output side only has power during cranking,
so if the bypass was connected there, it ought to be fine. Maybe simpler
to understand later when you're standing there looking at it and trying
to remember what you did,  if you use the R terminal.

>To John H, it would be nice to get a Ford solenoid that the push button,
>manual override.  Maybe someone knows of a specific model still available=
>?

Yes, that would be absolutely elegant. I've looked through several parts
catalogs and I've never found them, but who knows?

>BTW, prior to getting the straight story from you guys, I was trying to
>explain to my psuedo-mechanic neighbor about the remote solenoid setup.  =
>He
>suggested replacing the IH Delco-Remy starter with a Ford type with a
>Bendix drive.  I wonder if anyone has done that?  Might take some fancy
>adapting to get that type of starter mounted to the IH engine.

Doesn't sound like good advice to me. I'd personally chose one of the
little high power starters that replace the Delco, if they weren't so
darn expensive. One thing in favor of the Delco, they're available
everywhere.

John H.

John Hofstetter  "Ol'Saline's Web Site" www.goldrush.com/~hofs
"Perhaps more to remember than ever really happened"
Life Member, National Rifle Ass.     California Rifle and Pistol Ass.
Member, Sierra Macintosh Users Group and MacTwain Macintosh Users Group
Charter Member, FRIENDS OF DEATH VALLEY   Member, Blue Ribbon Coalition
Life Member, Association of California School Administrators
Owner of 79 Scout Terra "It's a legend"