Ford Solenoid

>I posted earlier about my overheated solenoid failure.  I mistakenly
>thought there was a step-by-step how-to in the FAQ.  Nope, just an ad for=
>$30 kit.
>
>What Ford solenoid can be used for the remote?  Apparently, the existing
>starter-mounted solenoid still must be used to activate the starter
>shift-lever to engage the pinion.  If we still have to keep the original
>solenoid active, what are we gaining with the remote?  Won't the heat
>problem still affect the working of the original solenoid?  Can someone
>explain this to me?
>
>Doug

Doug,
I also thought that the FAQ contained full directions.
The problem with the existing Delco solenoid is the contacts inside the
solenoid get burned from arcing and this combined with all the heat that
is in this area, means that full current doesn't get to the starter. The
Ford solenoid is mounted up on the firewall and when activated supplies
full current directly to the starter. The Delco has to be left in place
because it engages the starter by pushing the drive gear into the
flywheel. So you wire the Ford so that when it activates, it supplys
current directly to the starter and also engages the Delco electromagnet.
The Delco no longer supplies current to the starter because the
connecting cable from the solenoid to the starter is no longer there. If
you need more help with this, e-mail me off line and I'll give you
whatever help you need.
John H.