Al gas tank

>From: jlandry@domain.elided (John A. Landry)
>Subject: Aluminum Fuel Tank
>
>Reapers and Reapettes,
>
>Can anyone tell me why you *wouldn't* want a fuel tank made of aluminum?
>I'm thinking about welding up a custom made fuel tank, and would like to
>save weight.
>
>Thanks,
>
>John

John,
Admitting that the environment is a little different, but in a boat we
own, the aluminum gas tank got a jillion pin holes in it, I guess through
electrolysis. We bought stainless steel and welded up a stainless steel
tank to replace the aluminum one. That original tank was fairly thick
aluminum and I was amazed to find out how much of the actual metal was
gone. The boat never was in salt water. I don't expect the tank I have,
that was made in Oregon will ever rust all the way through, and a tank
like mine that serves as a skid plate in addition to storing fuel
probably would be a waste of stainless steel, but I, personally, wouldn't
ever make the tank out of aluminum. FWIW
John H.