Make do accelerator pedals and oil seals

>Excellent advice.  Don't know how many folks I've spoken with who have
>accelerator pedal levers so badly bent & deformed in their Scout II's that
>the throttle was barely opening halfway.  They commonly crack and bend
>right at the pivot.
>
>Used to be that these were simply unavailable, and you had to weld it up &
>make do as best you could.  Until the "Light Line Distributors" folks
>started re-manufacturing them, that is.
>
>Bill Thebert
>The Binder Bulletin

Just wanted to add, Bill, that welding the pedal up and making do, isn't
necessarily all bad. I've had to do a couple and after making the
repairs, I've never worried about having them bend or break again.
Haven't seen the re-manufactured ones, but my re-done ones pivot on a
bushing and I like my modification a lot. Just wanted to point out that
repairing wasn't necessarily "making do".

In regard to oil seals, John's concern was that he believes the IH
engines depend on adequate oil getting to the guides (as do all engines,
but IH engines perhaps more than others becuase of operating temp and
such) and believes that seals lessen lubrication and cause
more-than-normal guide wear.

I paid attention to what you said about your engine and recognize that
your seals seem to be causing no problems, but as someone else pointed
out, rightly or wrongly, IHC V8's seem to have acquired a reputation for
needing positive valve guide lubrication to avoid excessive wear. The
only V8 I ever had lose substantial compression before its time was my
SSII, which by 120K miles had lost both its rings and its valve guides
(not part of the compression loss). Other than this engine, my feelings
are that valve guide wear tends to cause excessive oil consumption
earlier in the life of an IHC engine than does ring wear.

John H.