Remote solenoid questions

I posted earlier about my overheated solenoid failure.  I mistakenly
thought there was a step-by-step how-to in the FAQ.  Nope, just an ad for a
$30 kit.

What Ford solenoid can be used for the remote?  Apparently, the existing
starter-mounted solenoid still must be used to activate the starter
shift-lever to engage the pinion.  If we still have to keep the original
solenoid active, what are we gaining with the remote?  Won't the heat
problem still affect the working of the original solenoid?  Can someone
explain this to me?

Doug