The solenoid strikes again ! !

OK, the dreaded hot solenoid bug finally caught me.  2 hours of driving in
80 degree heat with the temp gauge steady around 190 degrees.  Stopped to
get something to eat and nothing !  No click, nothing !

Since I was parked right next to an ice machine, I packed ice around around
the starter/solenoid to cool it.  Cooled things for about an hour.  Still
wouldn't work.  Started banging on it.  Finally it caught.  Made it the ten
miles home without any probs.

So, it's obviously time for the remote solenoid setup.  I think Summit has
a kit for around $30.  Is this a good deal, or is the assemble-it-yourself
way via the FAQ better?   Do these remote solenoids have a manual push
button built-in?

Just curious,  I wonder why it didn't fire right up when I iced it cool.
Is the failure a heat induced high resistance thing in the windings?  Or is
the armature (what do you call that thing in the middle?) binding because
of heat expansion?  Why does banging/tapping help?  Maybe the armature
thingie just needs a little more clearance?  Anyone taken a solenoid apart?
  I know from experience with industrial controls that a binding solenoid
will draw so much current that the windings quickly burn out.  It may not
be such a good idea to hold the ignition switch turned to the start
position if it doesn't catch immediately, right?

Doug