IH Mysteries

I have a question. On the back of the passenger side head is some kind
of sensor with a wire attached to it. On my engine the sensor is broken
off and the half of sensor just hangs there on the end of the wire. What
is that sensor there for? I haven't noticed anything different since it
broke off. There are no lights lite or gauges not working. Any body
know?

Dan Nees
cookiedan@domain.elided

   1979 Scout II 345, Auto, 3.07's, Trak-Lok. One Ugly and Trusty Truck.
Looking to win the Cookiedan Award!

1971 Scout II 304, D30/44, D20, power steering.