Frame thickness

As usual, nothing goes quite the way I want..

Recall I mentioned three weeks ago ripping my front driver's fixed spring
mount from the frame.. that one was clean, with a slot cut torn from the
outside of the frame where the outer weld was.

Tonight, while envisioning the V8 exhaust under the '77, what should I
see, but the passenger side mount has ripped!  This one is uglier.. the
outer weld gave way, and the inner and under-side welds held.. and peeled
the frame forward, twisting along the way..

I think it's been this way for a while.. I've noticed some strange
handling quirks.. I was kinda thinking maybe we didn't get the driver's
mount in quite perfect.. now I know better.

So.. it looks like I might be renting a stick welder on Saturday to make
this fix.. right in the middle of my engine swap.. d'oh..

Per a suggestion on TechTalk, I think the plan is thus:

Raise the truck, unweight axle, remove spring from the mount (mount is in
tact, just the frame isn't..)

Use my grinder to remove the mount completely, and clean up the welds (w/
chunks of steel frame attached).

The hole in the frame will have to be cut roughly square, then I'll put a
piece of plate in to fill the hole with.  What thickness is the frame?
I'll have to buy the steel tomorrow on my motorcycle.. ;)

My new step-dad will be in town Saturday afternoon (sadly, he still isn't
bringing me his welder..).  He at least knows how to weld (better than I,
anyhow).  I think I'll rent a stick welder for the day or half day
($30?), and let him do the welder.

Weld the new patch into the frame, then weld the mount back in place
(this one I think I'll have to measure and such to get in just the right
spot).

Once that's done, I'm taking the base/feet for my Smittybilt front 'cage
kit (roughly 4x3 x 1/4).. since I'm using some 12x12 1/4 plate for the
feet instead of the ones Smitty sent...

These two plates will be welded at approximately a 45 degree angle.. one
end of the plate will be against the lower back edge of the spring mount,
the other will get welded to the frame farther back.  Hopefully this will
help avoid this problem in the future (watch, next week I'll have to undo
it all because I decided the reverse shackle can't wait.. ;-))

So.. what thickness is the frame (what kind of patch do I buy?).. and any
flaws in this line of thinking?

*sigh*  So much for getting the flywheel off tonight..

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 and '77 Scout IIs