Re: Max RPM vs Max HP

>Based on your comments, I guess I can go out and run that puppy up to
>4400 like Tom M. does. Of course, the blooming thing screams (compared
>at 4400 RPM) at 4,000 like it can't go no faster.

We've hashed this before, but what *is* the generally accepted "max RPM" for
a 304?  The valves begin to float and act as a built in "governor" at some
point... and I think I heard I can run that w/o too much worrying... valve
float won't damage the motor, right?

If my math was right, I was turning 5300rpm when I did 115mph....

BUT, last night, while pulling the Dana 20 from the '72, I noticed an
adapter on the transfer case speed-o line...

Not sure what that's for... I know the T90 was replaced with a T15 not long
before I bought it... maybe the Dana 20 was swapped with it, and a speedo
adapter installed instead of changing the speedo gear on the 'case?... dunno
what that does to my top speed cliam.

I guess I'll have to see if I can bury the 100mph speedo on the '77...

Sadly, when tested against my friend's new Outback, my speedometer still
reads about 5mph fast on the highway (I said 75, he said 68... I said 50, he
said 45.. or something like that).

I guess that means 33s didn't fix the too-fast-speedo problem... must be
time for 35s...

;)

-Tom Mandera, Helena, MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout