Umbrella seals

I've had the umbrella-style seals on my current motor for over 5 years now.
 Had em on the motor I built for my 1980 Traveler as well.  Didn't notice
any "quick death".  Nor did I have the customary smoke at startup.

I realize my rig isn't a daily driver;  but it gets driven quite HARD on
occasion.

Bill and others,

I hesitated responding to the original post on seals, but here goes...

Oil is not really needed for lubrication of valve stems.  When doing a valve
job, each valve guide is sized to the valve stem that is going into it.
Each valve has it's own hole, period.  I always use an assembly lube on the
stems during re-installation.  The sizing of the guide is such that there is
a limited amount of play.  Today's fuels have cleaners and lubricants in
them to handle normal lubrication needs of the stem.  Placing both valve
seals on is very inexpensive insurance.  I would be more concerned about
getting a good three angle grind and having the valves seat properly than
anything else.  I have seen way too many seats out of sink with the guides,
and therefore requiring major grinding to get them correct.

Jim Hadfield
'48 KB-5
jhadfiel@domain.elided
http://www.isd.net/jhadfiel/jim.htm