Re: Umbrella seals

Just to muddy the waters a bit more: I took the heads from my
Travelall's 392 to a machinist who does lots of IH stuff. He
recommended Chrysler seals on (I think) the intake valves, and
stock IH seals on the exhaust (the reason he doesn't use Chrysler
seals on the exhaust valves is that the IH exhaust valve stems are
an oddball size, while the intake are a common size. He also said
that the exhaust side just isn't a problem - probably as Bill
points out, the intake side is under vacuum, and would tend to
suck the oil in, while the exhaust side is under pressure and would
tend to blow the oil out). The Chrysler seals require a groove to
be machined around the circumference of the valve guide boss. The
seal is a  close, but not tight, fit over the valve stem - so it
wipes the valve stem as the valve opens and closes. My engine still
has a puff of oil smoke at startup, but since the engine isn't
broken in I'm not sure if this is due to valve seals or not.

later,         curt_cleavinger@domain.elided  Louisville, CO
  Curt         Binder Bunch: http://www.off-road.com/~jweed/binder.htm
 [/>/]             [\<\] '75 Scout II     '75 Travelall 150