Re: Locking Hub Labels

John & Bill:

WAIT! One of us is wrong, or there is a third variant.

The older model M178 "Lock-O-Matic" hubs say "AUTO" and "FREE" on the
both
the cap and the dial.

The newer model M242 "Automatic" hubs differs by having "AUTO" and
"LOCK"
on the cap.

Mine are on a '76 Terra and they are "Lock-O-Matics. They have "LOCK"
and "FREE". That's what can cause the confusion. "LOCK" and "FREE" sound
like regular locking hubs since there is no "AUTO" designation.

John, are you sure about the M178? See on mine, "FREE" = automatic and
"LOCK" = fully locked. But, there is not designation for "AUTO" and it
certainly doesn't make sense to have it as "AUTO" vs "FREE" because
here, "AUTO" = locked.

I am not trying to insult, I just double checked my own. There is either
a third variant as Bill suspected or you got the 178 designations wrong.
Boy, Warn/IH didn't mind making a mess out of this little issue. :-)

Tom H.