Gaskets

Subject: Gaskets

I kinda asked this before, but...

If I start yanking things off the top end of the motor, is it a "must do"
replace the gaskets?  Or is it, "Gee, the works already done.. how much is
new gasket gonna run ya?" type of affair?

It's possible I might get ambitious (or decide I've just slept too darn
much
in recent nights) and tear things apart if the compression check says I
should... then again, I've never had a good look-see inside anyhow... but
if
once I loosen those bolts I'm committed to buying new gaskets, I'll think
twice..

- -Tom (just waiting for 5 o'clock...)

Tom,
	Buy new gaskets for the top end, the old intake, exhaust, and valve
cover gaskets are already compressed and you will quite possibly never get
a good seal when retorqueing back to specs.  It is cheap insurance against
leakage.  Since you will have the motor out, you might as well replace the
pan gasket too, if you buy the entire kit, which includes rear main seal.
It will be easy to work on once its out.
	I never reuse gaskets unless its to repair a screw up at midnight and
need the wheels for work the next day.
my $.03
Jeff