Re: Toms compression test

On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, John Hofstetter wrote:

> I think it probably means that the engine isn't leaking much if any. You
> number 1 cylinder. Try to squirt it toward the top of the piston, if
> possible. Let it run a few seconds without the tester to let the oil get
> distributed and then check the compression again. If the pressure is up 8
> or 10 lbs. we will know that it has rings that are worn more than in the

Gotcha.. I'll do that after work tomorrow.

> other cylinders. If the pressure stays the same with the oil, then the
> problem is a valve. Whichever happens, you basically should have a pretty
> sound motor. The rule of thumb is that the cylinders shouldn't vary by
> more than about 10 %.

I *figured* the motor was solid.. at 63,000 miles, it's just barely
broke-in!  The Scout sat in a farmer's pasture in North Dakota from at
least '78 to '90 or so, with 44k on the clock.. changed hands to my
friends around that time, they put 10k on it through early '96 when I
bought it... put another 9k on it before it was parked..

Compared to figures I've heard others talk about (80-90psi), my
compression seems a bit high! ;)

Just because I like to work solutions out before I need to use 'em...

If it's the rings, what do I do?  Just run it as-is for years.. hopefully
a little use will soften up the rings and stop the smoke?  When I finally
get annoyed with it, pull it & re-ring?

if it's the valves - any easy remedy on that?  I'm not Landry-esque in my
mechanical demands (and only someone really hungry would eat of either of
my motors..), but this smoke gets to me. ;)

Or, option C - it's water in the gas, or just plain stale gas, left over
from 18+ months ago?  (Hmm.. I have the "gas mileage" sheet in the
glovebox that tells me just when I filled it last.. I think it was April '97)

> Whew, glad you didn't pull the heads.

*smile*  Me too!  Though I now have a new $35 compression gauge..

Tomorrow I check the wet compression.. then the rest of the exahust
clamps come off, and maybe the Dana 20 & T15 come out before I quit to
attend BinderChat. :-)

Thanks to all.  I just like to work out the possible scenarios and
problems/issues associated with each before I go into things.. just that
left-brain of mine working over time as usual..

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 and '77 Scout IIs
Am I really going to bed at 11:30?  Before tomorrow?  Wow.. that's a first..