More on my 304 to ponder

Just looked at my shop manual some to determine some vacuum routing, etc.

Now I know that the two vertical "3-way Ts" on either cylinder bank are
the EGR on one side, and "High Temperature Valve"

These had vacuum lines attached to 'em, though the lines didn't run like
they do in the book, and one just ran off to never-never land and the
atmosphere.

Anyhow, I hooked my vacuum gauge up to both sides today, and even plugged
what I could readily see as a leak (duh, the open vacuum hose).  I didn't
show ANY vacuum.

The port from the carb to the distributor showed NO vacuum until I spiked
the throttle - then it showed vacuum.

I think what should be "manifold" vacuum from the carb (gotta go check my
Holley book) was capped on the 2300, and I didn't get the cap off yet
(it's a big "cap").

What should the vacuum gauge read on the EGR valve and the other high
temp switch or valve or whatever it is.  How should the vacuum behave?

Could a non-functioning EGR cause problems like, oh... say.. blowby
and/or smoke?

-Tom (playin' with new gauges tonight...)