Re: Solenoid Spring, Birthdays

>>.So, Since I have been battling this problem on my scout for years, I
>>decided to give this a try.  I tripped down to the nearest Automotive
>>Electrical outlet, and picked up the spring.  Initially, it looked
>>identical to my old one (at least from memory) but once I took the
solenoid
>>out, the new one was definitely LONGER and a bit beefier in its
>>compression.

>That's interesting, Allan, and very good information. We often say that
>if some modification or the other were a good idea that the manufacturer
>would have included it. Isn't it interesting that Delco didn't change the
>spring?

Actually, John, I believe the factory did make this change in their vans,
in the
early 80's for production.  I think it was also a technical service
bulletin, so
if you took your chubby van in for service complaining that it wouldn't
start when hot, they would find this TSB that instructed the spring
replacement.  I only found out about it because someone wrote to
Popular Mechanics about the problem.  I don't know if they applied it
to pickups/cars/etc., the vans REALLY cook the starter.
Does Chevy still use the same starter on 350s?  I know they have not used
the 10si alternator for quite a while.

On Birthdays, Tom said:
>FWIW, I hit 22 on Tuesday the 15th.. just a few short days after
>Nationals.

Funny Tom, you look older than that!!! <VBG>

Power Amp:
I guy a work with has a ham radio in his Ford Exploder.  Had the
antenna mounted on the back, but every time he would key up,
it would trigger the rear window wiper.  So, this could be it.
Where are the two mounted in relation to each other?

Allan Weidenheimer
72 1210 Pickup