Re: Unilites and ballast resistors

>Talked to Unilite tech support today. They confirmed what you guys had
>alreadly told me that the Unilite needed a ballast resistor if the MSD or
>whatever went dead. He said that the transistor in the Unilite is even
>more subject to damage from long exposure to full voltage than points
>are.
>
>He told me to put the ballast resistor back in now, because the Mallory
>and the MSD both work fine on the voltage from out of the ballast
>resistor and then it would be there when and if I need it. I guess I'll
>do that as it makes sense to me.
>
>Gee, Darrel, you complicated our lives with your info, but maybe saved
>our butts down the line.
>
>John H.

John,

Glad to be of some help...just returning the favor for everything I've
learned off the digest.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to use a ballast resistor when using an
electronic Prestolite or Holley Gold Box as the trigger for an aftermarket
ignition. Cut down on the current flow in the OEM ignition.

MSD user's: just make sure the ballast resistor is connected in series with
the trigger wire, and not the MSD main power wire.

Darrel Kline
Colorado Springs
1980 Scout