Unilites and ballast resistors

>Subject: Re: Ballast resistors with the Unilite?
>
>In a brilliant stroke of genius, John Hofstetter <hofs@domain.elided>
>blurted out:
>
>>>The ballast resistor must be
>>>used with stock Points Ignition and Mallory Unilite applications.
>>
>>Now that's interesting, why would the Unilite need the ballast resistor?
>
>Probably because just like the Pertronix Ignitor and breaker-points, it's
>only design to handle so much current (~10 amps).
>
>John L.

Talked to Unilite tech support today. They confirmed what you guys had
alreadly told me that the Unilite needed a ballast resistor if the MSD or
whatever went dead. He said that the transistor in the Unilite is even
more subject to damage from long exposure to full voltage than points
are.

He told me to put the ballast resistor back in now, because the Mallory
and the MSD both work fine on the voltage from out of the ballast
resistor and then it would be there when and if I need it. I guess I'll
do that as it makes sense to me.

Gee, Darrel, you complicated our lives with your info, but maybe saved
our butts down the line.

John H.