Re: Gaskets

-----Original Message-----
From: Russel DeArman <russde_93@domain.elided>
To: ihc@domain.elided <ihc@domain.elided>
Date: Monday, April 19, 1999 11:20 AM
Subject: Gaskets

>Wow, am I tying up bandwidth today or what!!!
> I have calling around to different parts stores in
>the quest to fix my oil leak. I can find the intake
>manifold gasket from 7-10 dollars but nobody caries or
>can even find the lifter valley gasket. What gives?
> Should I just use silicone gasket material? Cut out
>one from the pattern?
>Thanks,
>

>===
>Russ D.
>'73 Scout II 304
>San Antonio, TX

Russ-

The IH valley pan gaskets are famous for squeezing out when you tighten it
down.  I have heard that one of the companies makes one from rubber rather
than cork or vice-versa or something and it is supposed to be better.
Regardless, I have also been assured by one of the mechanics at "Anything
Scout" that red permatex seems to work fine, and I can't remember, but I
believe that is what I used when I put mine back on about 10K before I sold
it and had no leaks from it that I know of.

Michael