Re: Power eating amp

In a brilliant stroke of genius, John Hofstetter <hofs@domain.elided>
blurted out:

>It has a 35 amp fuse in the circuit. The current draw doesn't appear to
>be a surge, as I can keep the motor running if I run it at very high, for
>an IH, rpm and key the CB. As soon as I let the rpm's drop, the engine
>dies.
>
>I wondered about it being a 350 amp amplifier. Does that mean that it is
>drawing 30 amps anytime the transmitter is being used? I suppose it does.
>
>It's possible the amp is defective, although it works.

John, Allen, et. al.

Don't discount some major effect that electromagnetic interference
generated by the power amp might be having on the EFI computer.  The owners
manual for my 87 Subaru clearly warns not to install a radio transmitter
coax or antenna (even a low power CB radio) anywhere near the electronic
engine management system computer.

When I used to fly helicopters in the Army, back in the very early
experimental days of flying with NVG's (Night Vision Goggles), when we'd
key up the UHF radio, many of the goggles would immediately shut down, just
as if turned off.  These weren't super high powered radios either.  It was
simply some sort of interference with the electronic intensifier tubes in
the goggles.  I had it happen to me one time, and that was enough to teach
me never again to use the UHF radio while flying under NVG's.  Later
revisions of NVG's quickly fixed the problem.

Just a thought!

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com       |   I want to know the TRUTH about our
Conservative Libertarian         |     government's secret operations.
Life Member of the NRA           |
WA Arms Collectors               | That's why I watch the X-Files on FOX!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.    |
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/  | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model