Re: Tom has a gas leak and it isn't Wanda's cooking

>>No bubbles... but lots of smoke.
>
>That smoke was probably engine gas. If you want a definitive test, take
>it to a radiator shop and they "sniff" the gases coming out of the

Oops... my bad.  No smoke from the radiator.. just the "white" smoke from
the tailpipe... and the coolant over flowing the radiator fill neck w/ the
cap off.

>Compared to some of the work you've done underneath, I don't see changing
>the head gaskets as that big a job. No, you have to remove both exhaust
>and intake manifolds. While you have the heads off, you might check the

Oh goodie... more stuff to tear apart!  Sounds like I'll start doing *this*
tonight...

Since the intake and exhaust manifolds will be off, will I be able to reuse
the existing gaskets (subject to inspection of course), or is this a
"replace every time" item?  (Collecting my parts ahead of time...)

>Do your compression check first Tommy. Remove all the plugs, screw the
>compression tester into one plug hole at a time, crank the engine over
>until the compression gauge needle stabilizes and record the pressure.
>Release the pressure at the Schrader valve and take the tester loose. Do
>this for all the cylinders and report back.

Will-do.  Second thing I'll do after work tonight (step 1 is to change
clothes into some more appropriate for engine work!... one of these days
I'll take a picture of me in my shirt, tie, jacket, slacks, etc... so
everyone can laugh at Tommy all dressed up.. ;)  My friends sure thought it
was hilarious when I pulled up in the '77, with fresh battle scars, then
emerged with a sport coat and all the trimmings... )

The good news is I have a borrowed "engine lifting hook"... this should make
pulling the intake manifold off much easier.  :-)

I guess I should start soaking those exhaust manifold bolts with WD40
immediately... OTOH, I will be pulling the motor completely out, so
EZ-Outing 'em won't be so bad...

Thanks, John.

-Tom