Re: 800 Question

On Mon, 31 Aug 1998 10:11:12 -0400 "Bryan Gillespie"
<bryan@domain.elided> writes:
>I've got a line on a Scout 800 that I might get.  However, I'm trying to
>determine what kind it is.  Here's what I have seen on the vehicle.
>
>1. On the door, it is listed as an 800A, built 8/70 -- but 800As were
>supposed to have stop being built in July '70.

I don't know about this for sure, but it sounds like the change from the
800A to the 800B may have been a running change with some of the things
like the lamps getting changed before the labels were changed.  This
certainly wouldn't be the first time this happened.  The changes were
relatively minor appearance items anyway and I remember that there was
little internal notice that the 800B even was going to be.  All the
attention was on the Model 810 (Scout II) which was being built in a
pre-production mode at the same time.

>2. On the same tag, the HPs are 180/193 @ 4400 -- what kind of engine is
>that?  On the inside of the hood, it's got a listing of the IH engines
from
>the 196 to the 392.  304 is circled.  But from what I've read about the
>horsepower output, the 304 doesn't have that much horsepower.  Those
results
>are closer to the 392.  BTW, I did feebly attempt to find the stamped
tab on
>the engine, but for a first-time looker, I had no luck.

If it's the original engine, it's a V-304--there was no other V-8 in the
800A's and B's (other than the V-266 in the plain 800.  Not only is that
HP affected by the lack of emissions equipment, but the whole automotive
industry underwent a change in rating methods about this time, going from
wishfull thinking ratings to something more realistic, so if you're
comparing what they said in 1970 to later engine ratings, you will see
big differences with no real changes in the engines.

>3. On the dash, it says "800A."  So, by now you have to think that it's
an
>800A, right?  Well, it's got rectangular side lights like an 800B.

Just reinforces the running changes comments in #1.

>Finally, did the Aristocrat have any kind of special insignia on the
side
>fenders?  There's a logo on there just under and forward from the Scout
logo
>that looks like a "V".  I'm just wondering if it might be an Aristocrat
from
>all the strangeness here or if it was some kind of V-8 insignia and all
>that's left is the V.

IH used a plain V on the V-8 models, so what you see sounds correct.  If
it were an Aristocrat, you'd probably know right away if there were any
of the original features left:Chrome wrap-around roof rack, blue and grey
paint scheme,  chrome rims, blue vinyl interior, blue carpets, white
headliner, blue tirm panels on the doors and the inside of rear fenders.
The Aristocrats were all built in 1968 with serial numbers about G350000
to 360000 so it's not likely any got the square markers.

>For you guys that can read the VIN like a dinner menu, here it is...
>782824C419493

That's a G in the middle--all Fort Wayne trucks were a G.  The list I
have says it was probably built in July, 70, but may not have been
shipped and date stamped until August.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]