Re: Hard Starting T'all

<cookiedan@domain.elided (Daniel Nees) wrote:>

>Avoiding the ignition debate John H and I are having right now, I'll be
>posting on that later, I had a similar problem with my 71. My starter
>solinoid was going bad and my start circuit had failed. That is the wire
>from the starter to the coil that by-passes the ballest resistor to
>apply full voltage to the coil. You are attempting to use the lower
>voltage run circuit to start a very hot coil, which we know heat
>increases resistance, therefore making starting difficult. The heat on
>the starter solinoid may be making the start contact come and go also.
>To test for this take a test light out to your hot engine and remove the
>coil wires. You may have to trace the starter wire out. Put the test
>light on the starter wire and turn the engine over. If the light doesn't
>light that is the problem. Although it may be an intermittant problem
>to. I would just replace the solinoid. They are about $35 at NAPA.
>
>Dan Nees
>cookiedan@domain.elided

Thanks for the suggestion--I will certainly try out the test light
procedure.  I am hesitant to just buy a new solenoid, however, because
this problem didn't show up until I had the carburetor rebuilt.  The
carb was running pretty rich, before the rebuild, and there was at
least some amount of vaccuum leak.  It's possible that getting the
engine running properly has increased the temperature enough to cause
stareter solenoid problems, however, and I will check this out, as well
as I can.

PB Schechter
pb@domain.elided