Re: Hard Starting T'all

Avoiding the ignition debate John H and I are having right now, I'll be
posting on that later, I had a similar problem with my 71. My starter
solinoid was going bad and my start circuit had failed. That is the wire
from the starter to the coil that by-passes the ballest resistor to
apply full voltage to the coil. You are attempting to use the lower
voltage run circuit to start a very hot coil, which we know heat
increases resistance, therefore making starting difficult. The heat on
the starter solinoid may be making the start contact come and go also.
To test for this take a test light out to your hot engine and remove the
coil wires. You may have to trace the starter wire out. Put the test
light on the starter wire and turn the engine over. If the light doesn't
light that is the problem. Although it may be an intermittant problem
to. I would just replace the solinoid. They are about $35 at NAPA.

Dan Nees
cookiedan@domain.elided

   1979 Scout II 345, Auto, 3.07's, Trak-Lok. One Ugly and Trusty Truck
covered in mud! Thinking about throwing a couple of big buckets of mud
on it just before I get to the fairgrounds!

1971 Scout II 304, D30/44, D20, power steering.