Re: Choosing the Right Mufflers

Steve:

I'm sure I've seen a claim with graphs and all, of one of the muffler
companies, that thier turbo style flowed more freely than a "glasspack".
Yeah, glasspacks are "straight through" but they can stuff a lot of
fiberglass and crimps on the pipe in that short space. I'm pretty sure
the trubo builer was claiming a "resonance effect" much like the
2-strokers. 4-strokers can also use resonance you know. It's just that
it will be limited to a very specific RPM. Ever see some of the wild
intakes that Chrysler came up with for drag cars? They have runners that
are more than a foot long to each intake port. Combined with the just
the right headers and a high overlap cam, they were getting cylinder
scavenging at 5,000 RPM.

Tom H.