Ignition Stuff

Michael wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions and no, I don't know what it came with
> originally.  Howard?  Did '73 Scout II's with 345's come with Holley
> points distributors?  Never realized that's what a gold box did
> directly!

I'm nearly positive that the '73s came with points.  My '74 Travelall came
with a goldbox, but I think that they might have switched mid-year for the
'74s.  The original owner switched it back to points due to the
unreliability
of the gold box.  Then again, I've got two IHs working fine with them, I
imagine that they were considerability improved during the 4 year run.

Gordon, if you get desperate for a new distributor, I know a machinist who
modifies Delco HEIs for IHs.  He charges around $150, I've got one in my
'74 Travelall now, and it works great.

Lately, I've been having hot-start problems after long (60 miles +) trips.
I've done a few things that have appeared to help, but then again, perhaps
I just gave it sufficient time to cool off!  I'll have almost all the wire
brand
new by the end of today.  If that doesn't do it, then I'm going to be
looking more closely at the starter (I get a big draw from the battery, but
it doesn't crank).  Lastly, somebody spoke about blocking the hood open.
Mike's 800 has a really nice louvered hood that he said really helped cool
it down, and he had it louvered for very little money.

Ken Farmer
1980 Scout II
1975 Travelall
1974 Travelall