Re: Michael's problem

>John-
>
>Thanks for helping out with some of your hard-earned wisdom.  It often
>sounds like you've had an IH of some sort forever!  Anyway, to check
>this volume, do I turn the engine over for a literal minute and time it
>to get a true flow speed?  Or do you mean to just check to see that it
>keeps coming through after the initial spurt.  Will I need to measure
>the ounces it spits in a minute?  Is that the idea, or am I over doing
>it?
>
>Thanks!

Michael,
I wouldn't worry about exactly how much fuel is pumped. In a minute, I
would think that you'd get about a quart and at cranking speed that would
be plenty, maybe more than plenty. I think personally, that the volume
test is more indicative of problems than the pressure test. The best way
to do a pressure test is to put a small gauge in the line with a Tee, but
this is probably more than you want to do, and you can certainly get an
indication with one of the cheap vacuum guage-fuel pump pressure gauge
devices that you may already have. If I were to put in the small gauge, I
would leave it in place, in fact mine is in place. I think somewhere
between 5 and 9 pounds would indicate the pump is OK, but only the volume
test can tell you whether it is really pumping gasoline. For God's sake,
be careful when doing the volume test as "cooked chiropractors" aren't
really considered a delicacy.

John H.