Trac-Locs Revisited

Last week when I was "rebuilding" my 304. I jack up the rear just to
test the LS in the rear. To my dismay, it spun easier than an open :(
Then I just read some of the posts in the tech-talk, one mentioned that
"Trak-loks begin pounding out the case where the cross-pin fits (as
early as 50,000 miles), rendering them useless. Consider it scrap. -Mark
Pietz"---now is this the trac-loc unit or the whole diff that is scrap?
I think that the trac-loc would be fine for my purposes.  Can/should it
be rebuilt, or is it a lost cause... what should I look for when I pull
it apart.  Cost of a rebuild? or look at other types of LS...what are my
options

Chris Des Planques
'67 800
'77 SII