Re: ihc-digest V6 #57

>John H,
>
>That's a great idea about sealing the gauges, but...there always is one...
>what about the heat generated by the ammeter, and such?  I imagine the bulbs
>get pretty hot too!  Incidentally the bulb sockets are up to $1.79 ea.
>I'm hoping to find them cheaper.  The manager of the AutoZone says he'll
>order all I want (like a box etc. since they only stock 4 or 5 on the hook).
>The clock has a large vent in the top, do the remaining gauges need this?
>
>I'll look at the possibility definitely,
>
>	-Joel

Joel,
I put the sealant between the "glass" and the gauge itself on the Scout.
That has no effect on the cooling of the gauge. The only dust that you
can see when the gauge is installed in on the inside of the glass,
anyway, so sealing it there keeps what you can see clean. As I said
earlier, I don't remember if the old Travelall gauges are built so you
can do this or not.

Are the bulb sockets like on the Scout, ears on a little socket that hold
the bulb and contact the printed circuit on the instrument panel? If so,
I picked up a mess of them one time at a junk yard that had the dash
hanging out of an old AMC. If this is what you have, they are very common
and easily obtainable.
John