administrivia: web page community

i have cleared a 2.6G partition on the krusty server.

we will commence our little experiment with the ihc list. i am setting up
http://members.digest.net/ihc/, and will be setting up ftp-only accounts
for you guys on request. this will take a week or so to organize; i need to
do a bunch of prep work. please wait until i make an announcement before
sending me requests, otherwise they may get lost in my inbox.

for those who don't do web pages, but want to:  check out aolpress, a
freeware html editor that america online gives away. it generates tolerably
respectable web pages.

for those who don't know about ftp, basically, ftp stands for "file
transfer protocol"; ftp is the traditional internet procedure for moving
files about. there are numerous decent ftp clients for wintel systems.
there is a built in ftp in windows 95 that is a near duplicate of the
traditional unix ftp client with a text command line interface; you run it
from an msdos prompt. i will post instructions on how to use it when i
start setting up the web site.

there are three good ftp clients with graphical interfaces that i have used:

ws ftp       --    http://www.ipswitch.com/Products/WS_FTP/index.html
cute ftp     --    http://www.cuteftp.com/
absolute ftp --    http://www.vandyke.com/

(absolute ftp isn't quite up to the standards of ws ftp and cute ftp yet,
but if you were looking for a telnet program for remote terminal sessions,
vandyke's crt has the best vt100 emulation i have yet seen in a wintel
client.)

we'll probably set a limit of 3MB per member account; i need to learn how
to manage quotas on a linux system for this.  i have cleared out a
partition of not quite 2.5GB to contain all of this. it may seem like a lot
of space, but if everyone signs up and fills their space up, it'll run out
in no time.

richard