Re: New lurker asks for Knowledge!

Lombrozo, David wrote:
> So I am moving everything I can over, starting with the rear axle, which
> I am rebuilding now. What problems and solutions can you offer with your
> combined eons of experience? I don't know what won't fit, but if I can
> get any component to work - power steering, power brakes, new rear axle,
> and/or 4WD and front axle, then it was worth the money.
>
> What advice can you give? And by the way, I will have some left-over
> parts if y'all need them, in the Portland OR area. Including, I hope, a
> very recent all-new-parts rebuild of the 4 wheel drum brakes from the
> 1964. Replaced everything including the drums, master and slave
> cylinders, hoses about 2 years ago. Also, most of a flat-bed 1210 truck,
> David Lombrozo
> Lombrozo@domain.elided <mailto:Lombrozo@domain.elided>
> 1964 Custom 1100 V304, 2WD, manual everything, Travellette cab

David-

I am not mearly knowledgeable enough to say for sure, but when I was
changing the rear axle in my '68 T'all, and I found a donor from a '70's
style, it had wider mounting points and was a little wider, I do
believe.  My blocks and springs would not fit on the assigned places,
and to change it was more than I, or my mechanic at the time wanted to
do.  I ended up finding another axle from a '60's style truck.  This is
all a vague memory of a mechanical novice, but I'm pretty sure that this
was the problem.  I would measure the length of these axles and their
respective contact points before tearing it apart.
Also, what size are your drums off of that thing.  If they are the 12"x1
3/4", I would be very interested in buying the whole kit and caboodle
from you.  Even if they're a different size, I may consider it so please
let me know!

Thanks and Good Luck!

Michael