Re: Fixing spam...

At 07:21 AM 8/17/98 -0400, Robert Baker wrote:
>	I hope the list owner won't see this as a complaint, but I haven't been on
>a list that took this many spam hits in _years_. This reminds me of the bad
>old days.

it's up, massively, over the past several weekends. it appears to be
related to the impending bogus spam legislation.

if you haven't already done it, and you're a US citizen, check the Cauce
press  release i put up at /cauce.html and call and/or
write your congressman or senator and tell him that the current bill will
be a disaster.

> (But back then, you could core-dump the offenders, hehehehehe.)
>	Perhaps the suggestion that only subscribers can post would work (if it's
>possible with the Krusty mail manager.)

it is, but it's an administrative nightmare. i tried it a number of years
ago and i'm reluctant to return to the complexity. the problem is that the
email address that appears in many from lines is not the one that appears
in the subscriber list, so i have to maintain a list of "permitted" email
addresses in parallel with the subscriber list.

richard