Re: Ignition Redundancy

On Thu, 13 Aug 1998 18:18:38 GMT jlandry@domain.elided (John A. Landry)
writes:

>All these connections are made with easy to disconnect male / female
spade
>terminals.  But I've always thought it would be neat to wire all of
these
>connections through a multi-pole switch of some sort.  That way a simple
>flick of a single switch would toggle between one system or the other.
>Having the switch mounted inside the cab on the dash would be the
ultimate
>in convenience.
>
>I'm pretty sure I'd need a 4 pole double throw switch or a suitable
relay
>and a single switch to accomplish this.  McMaster Carr has a 4 pole
double
>throw toggle switch (part number 7343K88) for about $14.00 that would
work
>great.  This particular switch has a ON - OFF - ON action, so the switch
>could also double as a mild anti-theft ignition kill switch when set in
the
>center position.  If mounted inside the cab, you'd need at least a 10
wire
>harness routed from the engine bay to the switch.
>
>Uh-oh, I feel another project coming on!

How low tech.  From a Landry, we'd expect a solid state circuit to
measure the output of the MSD and if it falls below an acceptable level,
it should make the switch to the points automatically so you don't miss a
beat, even in the worst of traffic jams!

Or make like a fire truck--drill your heads for a second spark plug per
cylinder and run both systems at the same time--real redundancy.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]