Re: Ignition Redundancy

As the putrid festering facial boil erupted, "Bill Thebert"
<bthebert@domain.elided> yelled:

>I relate this story thinking that you might be able to design a circuit to
>just as "handily" re-wire your ignition without actually "re-wiring" it.

Funny you should mention this Bill.  After my little road side fiasco
yesterday, it got me to thinking there's always a better way to do things.

My re-wiring involves something on the order of (going from memory)...

1. Disconnect orange MSD wire connected to positive coil terminal.

2. Disconnect black MSD wire connected to negative coil terminal.

3. Disconnect white MSD trigger wire from distributor wire.

4. Disconnect black IH wired 16 and 16D from small MSD red wire (single
connector).

5. Reconnect black IH wired 16 and 16D to rear terminal on ballast
resistor.

6. Connect jumper wire from forward terminal of ballast resistor to
positive coil terminal.

7. Connect distributor wire to negative coil terminal.

All these connections are made with easy to disconnect male / female spade
terminals.  But I've always thought it would be neat to wire all of these
connections through a multi-pole switch of some sort.  That way a simple
flick of a single switch would toggle between one system or the other.
Having the switch mounted inside the cab on the dash would be the ultimate
in convenience.

I'm pretty sure I'd need a 4 pole double throw switch or a suitable relay
and a single switch to accomplish this.  McMaster Carr has a 4 pole double
throw toggle switch (part number 7343K88) for about $14.00 that would work
great.  This particular switch has a ON - OFF - ON action, so the switch
could also double as a mild anti-theft ignition kill switch when set in the
center position.  If mounted inside the cab, you'd need at least a 10 wire
harness routed from the engine bay to the switch.

Uh-oh, I feel another project coming on!

Regards,

John

jlandry AT halcyon DOT com       |   I want to know the TRUTH about our
Conservative Libertarian         |     government's secret operations.
Life Member of the NRA           |
WA Arms Collectors               | That's why I watch the X-Files on FOX!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.    |
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/  | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model