Re: Ignition Redundancy

As the putrid festering facial boil erupted, Ken Farmer
<Ken.Farmer@domain.elided> yelled:

>John Landry squealed:

Only when poked in the ribs.

>>Uh-oh, I feel another project coming on!
>
>Wait!  Before you get all your tools out...doesn't MSD offer you a
>simple single wire jumper techninque to bypass it?

Ken,

Not that I'm aware of.  MSD *used* to ship little special terminals you
would attach to your coil that acted as place you could do some wire
jumping.  They quit supplying these items some time in the past.  There was
a loose note in my MSD box that explained they decided these special
terminals weren't really needed any longer.  These terminals were probably
very similar to what Bill Thebert mentioned he had on his rig.

But special terminals aside, depending on what sort of ignition system
combinations you have, I don't really see how you could have a single wire
perform a complete switch over.  On my combination Holley breaker-point and
MSD 6A, you have no less than 10 separate wires completing 4 individual
circuits.  This is why a 4 pole double throw switch is needed to toggle
between and isolate the two systems.

In thinking more about this "one switch" idea, a relay mounted under the
hood controlled by switch in the cab is more practical.  In that case the
switch would only require two wires connected from the relay.  An
industrial control relay, relay base, and toggle switch would cost less
than $20.00.

Take care,

John

jlandry AT halcyon DOT com       |   I want to know the TRUTH about our
Conservative Libertarian         |     government's secret operations.
Life Member of the NRA           |
WA Arms Collectors               | That's why I watch the X-Files on FOX!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.    |
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/  | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model