Re: pink slip needed

Steve:

It may not. On most makes it does. I was just assuming. I have never
bothered to look for any markings on the IH engine. I was told I had a
345 when I bought it. But, when I pulled the valve covers to see if I
could adjust the valves, low and behold there was a "304" stamped into
each head. Sure enough, I later discovered the "build sheet" (this was
all before the Digest and my knowing that all IHs had one of these) and
sure enough, it too said 304.

But, I just bought that used motorhome out of state and was relying on
the problems I had registering that in CA. The DMV made me bring it in
for an inspection. They found the Dodge (chassis maker) VIN on a plate
inside the motorhome. The engine had the same VIN stamped into the
block. But, the motorhome manufacturer used their own VIN rather than
that of the Dodge Chassis which is giving the DMV fits. Since they
couldn't find another VIN on the frame or anything, they want me to take
it to a CHP roadside weight station and have an officer confirm that it
is all as said.

I ended up getting around this little fiasco by pretending not to know
anything when I went inside with the inspector's note and the girl that
did the entry overrode the computer about the two VIN's needed note. I
love bueracrats.

But of course, I still haven't gotten the thing smogged even after
spending almost $500 to return it to stock and replace every lousy piece
of smog equipment on the thing. There is no "waiver" when you are
bringing it in from out of state and the EGR system is missing or not
working and the carbueretor has been replaced. I wouldn't get past the
visual let alone the sniffer. It would have been cheaper to find "black
market" smog mechanic but I don't know any - yet.

Tom H.