Re: Engine swap

Guys:

I've worked on both IH engines and SB Chevy's for a few years.

Your right, the IH is pure truck motor. They used it in trucks way
beyond the size and weight of a Scout. It could handle it. But, it's no
dragster either.

The SB Chevy will outrun and out rev the IH any day. And, for the ones
that Chevy used in their trucks, they did beef them somewhat - 4 bolt
mains, higher torque cam, lower top RPMs. I've seen them go 200,000
miles and not falter.

But, you have to decide what you want. A hot rod, flashy show car, with
a modern fast and high revving engine. Or and old, slow reliable ground
pounding IH big block.

Because that is the real truth. For comparison, you should be comparing
the IH 345 to the Chevy 454. It's two big blocks. And for off roading,
trailer hauling and sheer ease of use in a Scout, I can't for the life
of me figure out why anyone would switch to an engine other than the IH
engine that was designed to fit both the size, other parts and planned
uses of the Scout. Of course, I would never attempt an IH 345 into my
'69 Z/28 either. It just wouldn't do.

Look at the torque curves. Look at the power output. Consider the
planned use.

If sb Chevy horsepower is "the way to go", why are Dodge Trucks with the
Cummins Diesel (3500 RPM max) and Ford Trucks with the Navistar diesel
considered (slow and torquey) so much superior to the Chevy trucks with
the 6.2/6.5 diesel. Again, people are choosing the "heavy duty" diesels
for their trucks rather than the "light duty" diesel that GM has chosen
to use.

Tom H.